This Day in Historical past: Nov. 25
On this present day, Nov. 25 …
1999: Elian Gonzalez, a 5-year-old Cuban boy, is rescued by a pair of sport fishermen off the coast of Florida, setting off a global custody battle.
Additionally on this present day:
- 1783: The British evacuate New York through the Revolutionary Battle.
- 1915: A brand new model of the Ku Klux Klan, focusing on blacks, Jews, Catholics and immigrants, is based by William Joseph Simmons.
- 1940: Woody Woodpecker makes his debut within the animated quick “Knock Knock.”
- 1961: The primary nuclear-powered plane provider, USS Enterprise, is commissioned.
- 1963: The physique of President John F. Kennedy is laid to relaxation at Arlington Nationwide Cemetery; his widow, Jacqueline, lights an “everlasting flame” on the gravesite.
- 1986: The Iran-Contra affair erupts as President Ronald Reagan and Legal professional Normal Edwin Meese reveal that earnings from secret arms gross sales to Iran have been diverted to Nicaraguan rebels.
- 1987: Harold Washington, the primary black mayor of Chicago, dies in workplace at age 65.
- 2001: Because the struggle in Afghanistan enters its eighth week, CIA officer Johnny “Mike” Spann is killed throughout a jail rebellion in Mazar-e-Sharif, changing into America’s first fight casualty of the battle.
- 2002: President George W. Bush indicators laws creating the Division of Homeland Safety, and appoints Tom Ridge to be its head.
- 2008: Former NFL quarterback Michael Vick pleads responsible to a Virginia dogfighting cost, receiving a three-year suspended sentence.
- 2013: Prosecutors shut their yearlong investigation into the taking pictures rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary Faculty in Newtown, Conn., that claimed the lives of 26 victims; their report says the motive of gunman Adam Lanza, who additionally killed his mom and himself, may by no means be identified.
- 2016: Fidel Castro, who led his rebels to victorious revolution in 1959, embraced Soviet-style communism and defied the facility of 10 U.S. presidents throughout his half-century of rule in Cuba, dies at age 90.